Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oreo Cake

I have something to admit...my kids think that Family Home Evening is the dessert...LoL
I guess that's okay. They enjoy getting together as a family and I enjoy trying new recipes. :) It's a win-win!
 
It really was a simple recipe, although there are a few observations that I'll make. Don't mind the fridge or the lopsidedness of the cake...apparently our oven isn't sitting evenly...
You'll need:
1 devil's food cake mix
4 squares of BAKER's semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 C butter
1 pkg (8 oz) of cream cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
2 c thawed cool whip
12 oreo cookies, coarsely crushed.
1. Bake cake according to directions in two round cake pans, then cool completely. Place one round on a plate.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until well blended and cool.
3. Mix cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Add coolwhip and blend gently. Add oreos.
4. Spread cool whip mixture on top of cake. Top with other round of cake. Drizzle chocolate over the top.
Options: Here are a few things I wondered and noticed.
First: I'll bet you could drizzle some of the chocolate on the plate first. You'll notice that it gets kind of hard (you need to keep this dessert refrigerated) like the topper ice cream cones you can get from restaurants. I'll bet that crust would be yummy on the bottom!
Second: ADD THE COOL WHIP FIRST! I added the oreos first. I noticed it was turning a greyish color. So I don't think I blended the cream cheese/cool whip as well.
Third: I would recommend more oreos. There just weren't enough, in my opinion. I would probably add another six oreos.
 
It was delicious! Give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment