Monday, February 17, 2014

Self Sabotage

I like to read. That probably doesn't surprise most of you. Hearing someone ask for a reading suggestion literally gives me a buzz. At least, what I imagine a buzz would feel like. I love sharing my favorite books. Be warned, though, I'll want to talk your ear off about the book I recommend if you decide to read it.

One of the books I'm reading now is titled Get Rich, Lucky Bitch by Dennise Duffield Thomas (no, I am not being paid to promote her book). I bought it on a whim and am now reading it. It's been interesting, to say the least. Her audience targets women who want to get rich. She talks about the money blocks most women have and how to overcome them. The money block that has jumped out at me recently is self-sabotage.

Self-sabotage. Why would we do things that would intentionally harm our self? It sounds crazy and illogical. The first time I read the self-sabotage section, I could not think of a single one that I had. Honestly. I am that perfect. (I hope those of you who know me are rolling on the ground laughing right now.) But this struck a chord yesterday. My method of self-sabotage? I do something once. I may even do it twice. And then I stop. I get lazy. "I can do it later," I say to myself. But later never seems to happen. It always falls to the wayside.

Surprisingly, this runs congruent to my last post, about schedules. One of my methods (unbeknownst to me) was to switch things up. That helped me defeat my "I've been there, done this" attitude. But I've been slacking. Guardians: Revenge is out to beta readers right now. And what have I been doing with me time? Nothing constructive. I even missed writing a post last week because "I didn't feel like it."

Now I'm going to an analogy. I enjoy running. Sometimes. If I do run, I do distance. Back in high school, I actually ran with a track team. Something funny happened, usually on the second or third to last lap. I would be done. My body would tell me to stop running, it was tired, we'd gone far enough. And you know what I would do? I would keep running. In my circle of running friends, we called that "pushing through the wall." Pushing through the wall is hard. However, once you are past that wall, the attitude of your body changes. It submits to your will.

It's the same with whatever goal you set, be it money, exercise, writing, or whatever. You'll start out very excited. The people around you will be cheering. But then you'll get to the middle/middle-end of your project. No one will be cheering anymore because it's boring watching you run in circles. You'll be bored of running in circles and tired of the circus. But you have to keep going. And do you know what happens at the end? Your body submits. People start cheering for you again. You get a surge of satisfaction for doing something hard.

So, what's your self-sabotage? Where do you give up your dream because you can? Once  you figure out what that is, you can figure out how to fix it. If you need help, I love dispensing advice. It's free and you don't have to take it. Have a great day! I'm going to get something done now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment