Thursday, January 15, 2015

Keeping Resolutions

And we're about half way through the first month of the new year! Congratulations, you've survived another two weeks. ;) But what about the resolutions you've made?

Resolution shares a root with the word resolve. It's a powerful promise that you make. And when you make a promise to yourself, you need all the resolve you can muster because no one will call you out on backing out. It's between you and you. So what can you do to really keep that promise to yourself?

1. Make sure it really matters to you.
2. Set a reminder in your phone, your e-mail, somewhere that will pop up monthly.
3. Stop making excuses and do it.

I personally have enjoyed following Denise Duffield-Thomas's approach (her website: http://www.luckybitch.com/). She uses the "Be, Do, Have" for setting goals. Check out her book for more detailed approach, "Get Rich, Lucky Bitch." No, I do not get anything for promoting her book. There are just parts that I really like.

Essentially, the Be, Do, Have approach looks like this:

Be: In one year, what do you want to be?
Do: In one year, what do you want to be doing?
Have: In one year, what do you want to have?

I have found that I am able to get down to what I really want when I ask myself these questions. I whittle away the "rich, famous, and beautiful" thoughts that I think would be fun, and get down to the ones that I really know will make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment